In the last two or three years, a lot of things have changed. Our life has become more virtual, and we spend most of our time by the computer attending work-related meetings as well as online classes. We also submit our homework and projects online without going physically anywhere. So it is imperative to have a great meeting session without any problems and interruptions. One of the most popular online meeting platforms is Google Meet. It uses your browser to open the meeting through the meeting invitation link. But sometimes, Google Meet can also create problems for you.
One of the common issues is a camera-related error. Sometimes, users face camera errors like the camera is not connected or failed when they try to join in a meeting. It can be for various reasons, but this error is easily fixable most of the time. Therefore, we have written this article with all the important methods to help you fix the error. In this article, you will see multiple methods to solve this problem spontaneously. So go through them all and try one by one. After trying all of them, this Google Meet Camera Failed error will fix automatically.
Recommended: Best Laptops for Video Conferencing
8 Ways to Fix the Google Meet Camera Failed Error
Let’s check out the methods to fix the Google Meet camera failed error:
1Check For Browser Updates and Restart the Browser
The easiest fix for the Google Meet Camera error would be restarting your browser. Sometimes, your browser can gather corrupted files without telling you, and these corrupted data will eventually create problems on a daily basis. So it has to be cleaned, and you can do it by restarting the browser. Besides that, you should also check for updates. If there is any known bug related to the browser itself, there is already an update with the fix for the error. Most browsers come with similar ways to check for updates.
- At first, open the Google Chrome browser, and you will see the three dots button at the top of the right corner. On some browsers, it is represented as a three-bar style button.
- So click on that button, and there should be an option named Help.
- When you hover your mouse cursor over there, you will see another option named About Google Chrome and click on that.
- Then it will automatically check for updates and install as well.
- Next, you have to restart your browser by closing the browser completely.
After completing these two steps, open the Google Chrome browser and join through the google meet video conference link. Before joining in the meeting, check if the camera is working or not.
2Check for Camera Permissions for Google Meet
When you open the Google Meet website for the first time, you will see a pop-up message asking for camera and microphone permissions. Without these two permissions, Google Meet will not be able to operate properly, and it will show different errors, and you will not be able to use the camera or the microphone. So you got to check whether the camera permission somehow got disabled or not. To check that-
On Google Chrome
- Click on the Three Dots button in the upper right corner and go to the Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu, click on the Privacy and Security present on the left side panel and go to the Site Settings tab.
- You will see the camera section and check the Sites Can Asks to Use Camera option. If it is not selected, then select that.
- Next, you have to scroll down and find out the Google Meet URL.
- After that, check the camera drop-down menu and select the Allow option. Now you have given all the permissions needed for Google Meet on Google Chrome.
On Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is one of the most popular browsers globally, having many exciting features. To Fix the Google Meet error on Microsoft Edge-
- Click on the Three Dots button on the top right corner and go to the Settings menu.
- Open the Cookies and Site Permission tab and scroll down for the All permissions option.
- After that, click on the Camera option, and you will see the Google Meet URL. So click on the Trash or Delete icon.
- Now open the Google Meet conference link, and it will ask for the Camera and Microphone permission. So, click on the Allow option, and your google meet error should be fixed.
3Check whether any other app is using the camera.
If you are using any other app with the camera on, then Google Meet will not work, and you will see this camera failed error. So check your computer’s built-in camera app or any other video conferencing app that you might be using in the background. If you can’t see any camera accessing the app on the taskbar, type Task Manager in the Windows search area and open the Task Manager. Now you will see every app running both in the foreground and in the background. Besides that, if you are using a laptop, then there might be a camera indicator somewhere besides the camera. So if the light is glowing, that means the camera is in use. To fix that, restart your computer, and the error will be gone.
4Check Google Meet Settings
Google Meet shows you the camera failed error, which might be because of incorrect settings. Whenever you start a meeting by clicking on the invite link, you will see the Check your audio and video option at the bottom left corner. If you click on that, it will take you to a new window where you will see the Audio and Video tab. Now click on that; there will be drop-down menus for both camera and microphone. So click on the camera drop-down menu, select the right camera, and set it as the default.
Apart from that, you can also access these settings by going to the Google Meet URL and then signing in with a google account. On the top right, you will see a gear icon for settings. Inside that, you will get the video option. So again, choose the right and preferred camera option. After that, google meet should start working without any issues.
5Check Windows Permissions
Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 come with many privacy-related settings where you can block programs from accessing the camera, location, microphone, and many more. These are very good and useful options, but they can also create problems if someone unknowingly disables them. If you disable the camera permission, then Google Meet will not be able to use the camera, and you will see errors. So you have to check the permissions. For that-
- Click on the Windows button on the bottom left corner and go to Settings. You can also type Settings in the search area to enter the Settings window.
- Next, go to the Privacy section and click on the Camera option in the App Permissions section.
- There you will see all applications that have camera usage permission. So check your browser if it has camera permission or not.
- After giving the permission, google meet will start working fine without any issues.
6Update Camera Drivers and Restart Your Computer
As you are facing the Google Meet error and can’t use the web camera, that means it might be a driver-related problem. Microsoft Windows OS uses drivers to handle different components. So if a driver starts acting weirdly, that component will create issues; in this case, it is the webcam driver. To fix that, you have to update or reinstall that driver.
- At first, type Device Manager in the Windows search area and open the window. You can also press both Win and R to open the Run window the type dvmgmt.msc then click on the OK button.
- After that, you will see all the drivers in the Device Manager window. Now you have to find out the webcam driver.
- Next right click on the webcam driver and click on the Update driver option. Now it will show you two options and choose the Search automatically for Drivers option, and it will start searching on the internet if there is any new update available for your webcam.
- Besides that, you can also uninstall that driver as well. Before doing that, download a fresh copy of your webcam from your manufacturer’s website, then install that one.
- After updating/re-installing the webcam driver, restart your computer and check if Google Meet is working fine or not.
7Disable MediaFoundation Video Flag
Chrome browser comes with many flags for enabling different experimental features. These flags are mainly for developers to test different things, and one of the flags is the MediaFoundation Video Capture. It mainly handles the camera access on Google Chrome. So if you are facing problems on Google Meet, you can try this method by disabling the flag. For that-
- Open the Chrome browser and Copy and paste the following address on the chromes address bar, then press Enter.
- After that, click on the drop-down menu on the right side and select the Disabled option.
- Close all the tabs and restart your browser and check for the problem.
8Check Your Antivirus Program
Most Antivirus programs come with web protection. It protects your computer from malicious websites and downloads. In addition to that, it also controls the camera access when you browse on the internet so that malicious websites cannot turn on your camera. So if you are using any antivirus programs like the in-built Windows Security or any other third-party antivirus software, then you should turn web protection off. Then you should check whether it was the Antivirus program responsible for the error or not.
After doing all of the above methods, your Google Meet camera error should have been fixed by now. Google Meet has become an essential part of our daily life, and it is really important to work normally to attend meetings and classes. So go through any of the mentioned methods to fix the error. After doing, it will start working normally. Besides that, comment down below if you face any problems while trying these fixes. We will surely get back to you soon.